For your final project, you will analyze a Fortune 500 or Inc. 500 company from a public relations perspective. The written portion of your project is due November 11, and your in-class presentation is due during Week 13.
This project is worth a total of 300 points of the 1000 available; the blog/paper portion is worth 250, and the class presentation is worth 50.
You will have the option of creating the written portion of the project as a traditional term paper or as a series of blog posts. Let your professor know your decision no later than Week Four.
If you choose to do this project as a traditional term paper:
- Use APA style for formatting and source citations
- Include a title page and table of contents
- Submit your paper [in the manner your professor requires]
- NOTE: Another option is to write a traditional term paper of at least 10 pages, on any topic discussed in our textbook Reputation Management. I will write a separate blog post with more details on this option.
If you choose to do this project as a series of blog posts:
- Create one page (not post, but page) on your blog with hyperlinks to all the posts. Submit the URL of your page [in the manner your professor requires]
- Cite your sources within the posts, and also provide hyperlinks to the original source if it’s available online
- Use tags on your posts
- An overview of the company and what it does
- A brief history or timeline of the company
- Based on Grunig & Hunt’s models of PR, which model is the company using? Provide examples.
- Describe the publics, including customers, of the company (or one of its subsidiaries)
- Top challenges facing the company (including the current financial market)
- Awards and honors the company has garnered in the past 10 years & how the company is using the awards/honors for promotion
- An analysis of how the company uses and benefits from (or could benefit from) social media
- An overview and critique of the company’s online newsroom
- Career opportunities in PR, corporate communication, marketing, etc., within the company
- Based on your research of this company, are you now MORE or LESS likely to want to work for the company? Why? Provide at least two paragraphs of a rationale for your decision.
Also, choose two from the following if you are working alone on the project. If you are working in a group, complete five of the following:
- For at least one news release, compare how the news release appears in the company’s online newsroom to how the story appeared when it was published in the media
- One crisis the company has faced and how it dealt with it
- Describe how the company is involved in its communities
- Interview (phone or e-mail) a public relations professional within the company
- Create your resume and cover letter as though you are applying for an entry-level PR position within the company
- Another section of your choice, as long as you clear it with your professor by Week 9
- Week 3: Choose a company.
- Week 4: Let me know your decision of whether you’ll do a traditional term paper or a series of blog posts.
- Week 9: Last date to pitch an idea for a section in your paper to me (if there’s something you would like to write about your company that is not on the list above)
- Week 12: Written portion of your project due
- Week 13: Presentations in class