For my Florida Southern College students
Welcome to our SPC 4350 Social Media for PR & Advertising class. For our first day of class, you’ll be meeting briefly with Dr. Fenner, as I am at the three-day workshop A New Curriculum for a New Journalism at the Poynter Institute until Wednesday. We WILL meet on Wednesday at 3:15 p.m.
Before we meet in person on Wednesday, please do the following:
- Review the syllabus for SPC 4350. (Print a copy and bring it to class on Wednesday.)
- Review the posts I have written for your SPC 4350 class, focusing primarily on Arrive, Survive & Thrive in Prof. Nixon’s Spring 2011 Classes.
- Watch the Social Media in the Workplace video at the Common Craft website.
- Watch the Social Media Revolution 2 (Refresh) video. Were you surprised by any of the statistics?
- Create a free account at Inbound Marketing University. You’ll take several courses via this site this semester. (At this point, you don’t need to do anything more than create the account and remember the login information for later.)
- Create a free account at WordPress.com (if you don’t already have one); this is the site we will be using for our blogs this semester. Choose a blog address wisely, as it’s not possible to change the address after you register. Consider using your first and last name (or some variation) as your address.
- Review WordPress 101: Getting Started with Your Blog. We’ll spend time in class during several of the early sessions this semester setting up your blogs.
- Make a list of all the social media sites you currently use, and note what you tend to use them for. (Bring this list to class on Wednesday.)
Bring to Class on Wednesday
- List of your social media sites & how you use them
- Post-It Notes (at least 25) & a Sharpie or other marker
- An open mind and a willingness to learn
Questions? I’ll be checking my e-mail and Twitter frequently while I am away at the Poynter workshop.