My most recent project is working on a new employee onboarding plan for my company. Could I please get your input on this?
I’ve included all the usual suspects in the plan, such as
- filling out HR paperwork
- setting up computer/phone
- expectation exchange with leader
- drive-by introductions around the office
- department- or role-specific training
And I’ve included some of the not-so-usual suspects, such as
- leader sends out welcome email so all employees know a little about the new person
- reminder to update LinkedIn and connect with new colleagues there
- add recurring meetings to calendar
- lunch with (different) co-workers several times in first two weeks
- overview of how each department contributes to company success
What would you want on YOUR plan as a new employee? Or, put differently, what do you think should have been on your orientation plan when you started at your most recent company, but wasn’t there?